Monday, October 03, 2011

Specials Evolved

Once upon a time, long, long ago, (back in early childhood), Rebekah used to make "specials." She was my creative kitchen kid. She would go into the refrigerator and the pantry, find ingredients that somehow suited her mood, mix them together, pop them into the microwave, and bring them victoriously to you in a bowl to sample.

I'd love to be able to say that these were delicious. They were not. She didn't have a good idea of what actually went together. For instance, there was the time she decided to make bread. The first ingredient, of course, was bread. Then she added water, eggs, milk, ketchup, salt, sugar, and a few other items that I can no longer remember. I'm sure I've repressed it. She put it into the microwave and brought it out to enjoy. It was gross. It was also the final straw.

Rebekah's dad made a new rule. You have to eat what you make. So, Rebekah got to eat the "bread." Now she understood! Of course, this did not deter her from making specials. However, she was far more cautious and would ask what went good with XYZ before placing it into her bowl. Eventually, she made up some really good concoctions.

Things have not changed to this day. Rebekah still experiments with food and several of our dinners are due to her ideas in action.

What brought this up today? Another special - one that I can't wait to try. Chocolate chipless cookie dough filled with butter pecan ice cream and then frozen. Oh yes, a girl after my own heart! I'll be sure to let you know how they turned out.


2 comments:

~Valerie~ said...

Love this!! Especially the experimentation! I'm sure it's no surprise to you to hear me say that. I've had my own disasters, but that's how we learn. But we do improve with experience, and mostly I have winners, like your example of Rebekah's, which sounds heavenly! So, yay! for you all! :)

Teri B. Clark said...

It was very good. A bit sweet, so you wouldn't have more than one. Which is actually a good thing when watching calories!