Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Full of Memories

I have a magnet that hangs on my refrigerator. A red tractor. I smile every time I see it. Now, I'm sure you are wondering why a middle-aged, suburban housewife would smile at a red tractor magnet. Because this middle-aged, suburban housewife has a tractor preference - International Harvester. Do you know why John Deere tractors are green? So they blend into the scenery when they break down in the field. Yeah, I went there. My grandpa was an IH dealer and I grew up with red tractors. Only red tractors. I even had the opportunity to own one several years ago. It was a joy to drive. Ah, the memories.

Anyway, this got me to thinking what other things have been passed down through the generations. My love of 40' and 50's and early 60's folk and country music, for one. My grandpa (the red tractor grandpa) had a family band. He played the guitar, my aunt played the mandolin, my uncle played the accordion, and my mom played the bass fiddle. Somehow, the two younger uncles never got involved, though Uncle Marlan did attempt the drums. It never quite fit with the whole whining country thing. Beautiful, beautiful brown eyes. Your Cheatin' Heart. Prison songs. Love songs. Patsy Cline heaven. My aunt sang soprano, my mom sang alto. I have a tape of them playing at Matthew's first birthday party. I'll treasure it always. I always perk up when one of the family band songs is sung. I even try to sing the alto (be happy that you are all cyber friends and don't have to hear it!

Blonde hair and blue eyes. Check. Though the blonde hair now needs a little help and I'm more than happy to give it the help it needs!

Love of cooking. This skipped a generation. My mom cooked because it was required of a mother to cook. My grandma's seemed to love it, especially my grandma Bufmeyer. I have a few of her recipes. They are not heart healthy, but man oh man, are they tasty! Tell me you're coming over and I'll make the baked mac and cheese and we'll have dill dip and pretzels while it bakes.

Picture taking. Grandma and grandpa Bufmeyer took gads of photos when they would go on trips and then we'd all get to sit and watch the slide show. Sometimes I would beg them to get one out just to see old pics of my dad. I'm sure my parents were so happy with me to be begging for a slideshow, narrated by grandpa. Yep, I'm sure of it!

I'm sure there is more, but these are the things that came to mind as I smiled at my red tractor magnet.

Other news: I'm addicted to Edy's ice cream 1/2 the fat flavors. Every time Edy's goes on 2 for 1 sale, I buy a lot. I currently have about 20 in my big freezer. I think I may need to go to Edy's Annonymous.

My brand new computer had a hard drive fail. Yes, we are getting a new one for free. No, they weren't able to save a thing off of it. I now have to go through the process of setting up my computer. AGAIN. Can we say, not happy?

Katherine's last soccer game is Saturday - everyone send good vibes her way - she wants to make a goal!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun memories, Teri. My dad's tractor was--well, sort of rust colored. He built it himself. He ran a fix-it shop (for not only cars, but anything that broke down). When a customer couldn't pay for the repairs he would throw them the keys to his old tractor, which always had a trailer hitched to it, and tell them to go cut a load of wood and bring it up and pile it. I don't think my dad ever cut a load of wood for the furnace himself!
Janet Elaine Smith, multi-genre author

Unknown said...

I actually prefer orange, as in Case and Allis-Chalmers. We live five house away from an old Allis plant that is now being demolished for a new 'RaininRose' factory. Dad had Case, two of my uncles had Allis' and one had a farmal(red), we called it a super C. Mom was a catering cook. But my favorite color is lavender.

Anya said...

I read your blog! Although I disagree on your tractor of preference!

Teri B. Clark said...

home built - that's ok

Farm all was built by IH. Love those things.

Anya - your mom and I have this argument. We've had it for yours. Come into the light!