Monday, October 17, 2011

Change - Not My Thing

I hate change. No, I despise change. I like getting all comfy cozy with how things are and just keeping them that way. I moved into this house 2 years ago. My living room is arranged just how it was then, though I have added some pretty things and a few pictures. My bedroom - same as it was 2 years ago, which happens to be exactly like it was in the old house. I figure, if it works, why change it?

Of course, it is the "if it works" part that got me over the last week. My computer didn't. (work that is). It just stopped. Kaput. The end. Not even time for a good bye song. So, I had to get a new one. Now, a new tower is not such a big deal. It does what it does and sends me all the info in ways that I can understand it.

But it is the updating of programs. I was still using Windows XP. Now I have Windows 7. I can't find a dang thing. Why are my documents in a library? I liked them just fine where they were. Now I have to push an extra button to get where I'm going. I was perfectly efficient without Microsoft's help. Couldn't find my calculator. Couldn't even, for a time, figure out how to log on to Internet.

Then there is the fact that was using Word 2003. Yes, folks, 2003. Just to make you feel better, it was new at the time. This machine came loaded with the starter of 2010. Most likely I will load up 2007, purchased for my children 2 years ago. We still have one use left on it. I don't want to afford 2010. Plus, my daughter has a book on how to use 2007 from a college course last year. I'm going to need that book. I couldn't even figure out how to find a word count. I checked everywhere. Except the bottom of the page, where it shows the count automatically. How nice.

Let's not forget Quicken. A version older than dust. I'm not even sure we are going to be able to get our old information loaded on to a new quicken. That will mean trying to piece together a whole year's worth of expenses. Plus, I have no idea how much money is in my checking. I mean, I know what the bank says, but I don't know how much is out there floating around in cyberspace waiting to be paid. This will have to change immediately.

And finally, there is Outlook Express. Do you know that they don't make it anymore? Nope, they don't. So, Keith, being the kind hearted man that he is, put on Mozzilla Thunderbird. It is going to be ok. It is going to be ok. I couldn't figure out how to send my first email or add an attachment. But with a little brainpower and some whining, I think I may have it figured out.

You'd think a woman that homeschools, and changes things up yearly, and a mom of 4, where the kids definitely move on with or without you, would make me more receptive to change. Remarkably, I am able to go with the flow when it comes to my kids. Sometimes I go kicking and screaming, but I go.

Thankfully, the computer will last at least 3 years. Why 3? Because that is how long we have a warranty. Anything beyond that is a gift!

PS You should have seen Katherine at her game on Saturday. She was a mean, lean, soccer machine. She stole it from Number 7 - the other team's forward. She was fast and intent. And my daughter got the ball from her. The cheers erupting from the sidelines embarrassed her. When she ran  past, she told us to hush up! LOL. I just love embarrassing my kids, don't you?
Way to get in there!

Katherine throwing in - Coach Jozy encouraging


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like change. I welcome change. Change is good (but a few dollar bills to go with the change helps.)

I have 7 on my laptop and xp on my desk computer. I hate outlook but every once in a while, I find I need to use it to send an email. If I can't find a way around that, I don't contact them. I still hate outlook.
As a computer tech support person, I heard too many virus's get through on Outlook.

Good blog.

CBrownfield said...

Yep. I feel your pain. I'm still using XP. But all my kids have 7. I have Word 2007. It isn't as good as the Word program that came with my first computer along about 1999. I LOVED how that one worked. I got it to build my newspaper. And the ink for that printer lasted a lot longer than the junk printers they have today, all designed to cost more, last less time, and drag the customer to the office supply aisle at Walmart to buy more. Greedy capitalists! So, yeah, Teri, I do understand.

Jennifer said...

Embarrassing my kids is my greatest hobby!