Thursday, January 26, 2012

aaaaahhhhhhhh....screeeeeeccccccchhhhhhh.........crunnnnnccccchhhhhhhhh

Today was not a good day. I was in a car accident and it was my fault. No one was hurt, thank goodness, but my car is in pretty bad shape. Luckily, we have good insurance - that I'm sure my rates will skyrocket on immediately.

Rebekah was in the car with me - in the front seat. She screamed for me to watch out. I slammed on the brakes, but I just didn't have the space. Yes, I was following too closely.

No airbags deployed which is both a cause of concern and joy. Concern because I rear ended someone and was going about 30mph when we hit. Shouldn't they have come bouncing out of the steering wheel and dash? Joy, however, because I could drive it under its own power to the body shop. Deployed airbags would have prevented that.

I called 911. And then we waited....and waited....and waited. 15 minutes. That's a long time to stand on the side of the road with a stranger trying to make small talk when you've just hit her car. The car with her child in it. Yeah, and it gets worse. Her child was both physically and mentally handicapped. He was very concerned and scared. I felt like a real loser.

Now for a funny moment. We were waiting on the police to arrive when Rebekah looks down and gasps. I look down to see what she is gasping at. I don't see a thing. She points to my feet, and then says with horror, "You are wearing pink fuzzy socks! Those are not outside socks. Mom! Oh, I hope no one sees your socks." So, here I stood, with my hood all scrunched up and lights hanging by cords and my daughter is worried about my socks!





For those interested, the car is awaiting an adjuster. We are down to one car. This should make life interesting for a while.

In other news: Our governor is not running for election again. Wow. Her rating is so low, she knew she couldn't win a primary and there was going to be a primary. How sad is that?

Rebekah is singing with the Temple Teens at a black tie affair and needs a black or red dress. That is what we were going to do today before the...uh...incident.

Kimberly gave blood for the second time today. Her phlebotomist has a child that could be part of the program at her summer camp. It is called Camp Kaleidoscope and is for kids who have been sick with cancer or heart problems or things that keep them from being able to attend a camp without medical supervision. He saw her tshirt and knew the name because the children's hospital has talked to him about it. He never thought about it because he was afraid. After talking with Kimberly, he is going to check into it for his daughter this summer. I feel she was meant to be there today, just for this father.

Katherine is with a friend, primping for photos. My daughter...primping. I'm finding this hard to fathom, but it is happening as we speak.

Keith has had a political victory today. We have a commissioner that is mean, abuses his power, and is sneaky. Keith was able to uncover a story that showed this to be true. The newspaper took it up and now the whole commissioner's race this spring and fall will have a new flavor. I'm very proud of him for sticking up for the community and living by his principles.


6 comments:

Meg - This Big Happy said...

I am glad you're all ok...and it's called an accident for a reason!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought my day was exciting and all I did was go out to eat lunch with a couple of friends, went grocery shopping, got the wrong product from WalMart and I can't figure out their stupid return policy, had the Schwan man come and tell me he's got a new job and we are getting our old Schwan guy back--and he was a real first-class idiot, now I have to figure out where I'm going to put all the food I bought today, and we have Bible study at church tonight. Oh, and my sort of non-adopted adopted daughter called and told me that her brother is in the hospital with a brain tumor and her sister doesn't want her anywhere near the rest of the family so she's going to come visit me instead. Makes all of that seem pretty dull. Oh, and I have bright purple indoor fuzzy socks on too! What a pair we'd make! LOL!
Janet Elaine Smith, multi-genre author

Anonymous said...

Just glad you all are OK, Teri. The car can be fixed or replaced. You cannot.
Hugs 'n love,
Cathy

Jennifer said...

Geeeeeez, Teri. Do you just not have enough spice in your life? You had to go get in a car accident?? LOL! I'm just glad to hear everyone is okay. And it sounds like you have your very own version of my Jillian... horrified by your pink socks! I'd wear them EVERYWHERE if I were you. Mwhahahahhaaa!

Teri B. Clark said...

Jen - well, I have 7 pairs - 4 striped and 3 solids. I got them for Christmas and I wear them all day, every day. Rebekah just shakes her head in disgust, especially when I have on a nice shirt. Apparently, fuzzy socks are for sweat shirts only and for in the house only. I have so much to learn about fashion!

The Belle in Blue said...

My fuzzy socks are blue--big surprise. I hope you will not be blue for long. I know it's hard to see now, but it could have been a LOT worse. Here's hoping all your repairs go speedily and your insurance company forgets to hike your rates!