Friday, February 24, 2012

On a Mini-Rant

Have you ever felt that people were attacking your beliefs and therefore attacking you? Yeah, I'm in that place. Politics is upon us, but the twist is that now religion has come into play. Who I am politically is more of a surface issue. Who I am religiously is a "real me" issue.

Why are they mixed? Most of you know that I am a Latter Day Saint belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka Mormons. And with Mitt Romney running for president, the Mormons are in the news - a lot.

But I have 3 things to say concerning his run for office:

1. Just because he is of my faith, does not mean I am for him. I may be. I may not be. Once I've made up my mind, it will not be because of his religion any more than I would vote for a candidate because of their race or their sex. I vote my conscience.

2. Our church does not sponsor candidates. They occasionally take a stance on a moral issue that is being politicized, but they have never, and will never, have a candidate they espouse. Each member of the church is encouraged to make their own informed decision.

3. Just because Mitt is a Mormon does not mean that everything he does reflects the church guidelines. He has voted in ways that, to me, seem to be against church teachings. He may very well do so again. He is no better than any of the rest of us trying to live out our religious views in the face of a society that no longer relishes those views. He is not perfect. I am not perfect. Don't hold his imperfections against his religion unless you are willing to do so to all candidates against their religions.

Done ranting.

Funny of the week:

A sign in my grocery store that reads:

Machine out of order
_______
Sorry
Management

I guess sorry management may have played a role here?

Other News:

Finally got a car! 2001 Buick LeSabre. Yeah! We got it for a tad under the amount the insurance company paid us for the wrecked car. I'm so glad that escapade is over!

Katherine's soccer practice started this week. She felt discouraged after Wednesday's practice. She is the most inexperienced player on the team. I told her she just needs to practice!

Quote of the Week:

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

congrats on the new car!!!! and i LOVE your quote. it's going on my Wall of Success right now!!

CBrownfield said...

Too bad more people don't vote their conscience, Teri. One of my gripes is that whites aren't supposed to be racist, but I see some reverse racism going on. A Yahoo headline,'African Americans Who Won Academy Awards.' Shouldn't that title have been "Americans Who Won Academy Awards"? EVERYTHING features African Americans...I've seen some Michele and Barack lookalikes in commercials. Sorry if this comment is too political. I just feel like screaming, "Wake up, America!"

CBrownfield said...

And I don't mean just African Americans. I mean ALL Americans.