Saturday, March 03, 2012

Social Media - Yea or Nay

I've been thinking a lot about social media lately. Probably because Katherine is scheduled to get a Facebook page on her 14th birthday which is just around the corner. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Here is what I read at http://socialnetworking.procon.org/:

Proponents of social networking sites argue that these online communities promote increased communication with friends and family, familiarize people with valuable computer skills, and allow contact with people from around the world.

Opponents argue that social networking sites expose children to predators, increase vulnerability to computer viruses, lower worker productivity, and promote narcissism and short attention spans.
 So, are you yea or nay? I'm with the yea. That may be because I am addicted to Facebook. However, I am able to keep up with the students I teach, people I went to high school with (we were a close knit group), church members, and family members. I get reminders about church events. I get reminded of people's birthdays. I have a forum for my ideas. And I've even had the occasion to help someone out of a real jam because my Facebook IM was open.

My latest project on Facebook is to create an event called the Anxiously Engaged - Actively Opposed Project. Essentially, I am calling on all my friends to become anxiously engaged in a cause and to be actively opposed to wrong. You can learn more about it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/398947670122780/

 Just like most "things", social media is not inherently bad. It depends on how you use it.

Other News: Katherine's first soccer game was canceled due to rain. Good news is that I'm not sitting in the rain watching a soccer game!



Kimberly is in Florida. I haven't heard from her since she disembarked from the plane. I assume that means she is having a ton of fun!


Kimberly went to a UNC CH basketball game this week. She had a lot of fun. Three things she mentioned: the campus was huge, the crowd was loud, and the guy in front of her needed a shower!


Keith and I are going to see The Odd Couple tonight at Temple Theatre. I am looking forward to the night out.


I have a dentist appointment for a teeth cleaning on Tuesday. I am terrified of the dentist. Please keep me in your prayers that I may stay calm.


Rebekah and I are going to see a Broadway Tour of the Lion King next Saturday. I can't wait to tell you all about it!


Another one of my "artsy" photos. Soon, I'll be taking pictures of flowering things. Bring on the spring!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if it is used responsibly it is ok. I did clean house of a bunch of people that were just sending my blood pressure up because of hate filled comments about values etc. I can get that on the news. I am not sure I'd let a kid on facebook.

Unknown said...

The validity of facebook and other social media sites depends on how one uses it. I don't post much on mine nor do I visit it very often. If I want to share something, I'll do it on wordpress. I guess there are a lot of games on the site, but I don't play them.
I'm a private person when it comes to my family and myself. I don't need to share what goes on here and I don't need to hear a lot of negatives about what I do or like. That others enjoy interacting on such sites is fine as long as they are aware of how these sites can be used and viewed by others. I feel I have a bit more control with my blog than with facebook but that's just me.
I enjoy reading your comments and I hope all is well with you and yours.

CBrownfield said...

Moderation is key, I think. It's so easy to waste a lot of time at these sites. It enables me to procrastinate when I really need to focus on my work. People use the media as their soapbox. I don't always agree, but I have the options to delete, ignore, or unfriend. And as a parent, I would have supervised my teens and did. Someone misrepresented themselves and tried to entice one of my children to be in their wedding in the Bronx. They said they'd pay her airfare. Over my dead body!!! If I hadn't been vigilant who knows what would have happened? I believe it was a human trafficking operation. The reminder is constant: People can tell you whatever you want to hear. Terry Goodkind tells us that Wizard's First Rule is: people will believe anything because they have a desperate need to believe in something. But social media groups give people a false sense of safety and security. Without the body language, facial expression, context...all those identifying tags, we just shouldn't be so trusting.

Sorry. Didn't mean to get on a soapbox.

Anonymous said...

chwilowki w domu klienta
pożyczki pozabankowe millenium
kredyt bez bik lte
kredyt bez bik bez bik forum
pożyczki w banku
pożyczki na dowód w banku
pożyczka na dowód bydgoszcz

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of house .
Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this information So i am satisfied to show that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I so much indubitably will make sure to don?t omit this website and provides it a look on a constant basis.

Here is my blog post - ebuybelize.com