Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End of a Year

I guess this should be one of those posts that reflects upon 2011 and then looks to 2012. It should talk about the goals I set and accomplished, as well as those not yet reached. It should talk about my goals for the new year and the hopes and dreams I have.

Yep. It should. But I'm just not in the mood for it. I realize  that this is the last day to really be in this mood, but it just isn't happening for me. I don't feel reflective. I've tried to decide on goals for 2012, but I get nothing. Nada. So, this year, my New Year's resolutions will have to come sometime other than the New Year.

As for the past and the future....last year was a year. Next year will be one, too. And I'll do my best to do my best. And I'll come up short at times. And I'll go above and beyond at times. But mostly, I'll just plug along, day after day, doing what moms, wives, homeschoolers, seminary teachers, Latter Day Saints, friends, and relatives do. That is just fine by me because it will mean that I am living my life. I can't think of anything more important to do during 2012, can you?

Speaking of traditions...oh, I guess I wasn't, but I am now. I am a German Yankee and German Yankees eat pork and sauerkraut for New Years dinner, along with mashed potatoes. This was to bring good luck and prosperity. Keith is a NC Southern boy. He had pork jowls, collard greens, and black eyed peas. This was to bring good luck and prosperity. We do a bit of a compromise...well, more my way than his because I am the one that cooks! We will be having pork (not jowls, but loin) - in the crock pot, crocked with sauerkraut. We will have mashed potatoes. We will have black eyed peas. We will NOT have collard greens. I can't stand the way they  taste and the smell while they are cooking - let's just not go there. I will add to that biscuits, homemade cranberry sauce, and sweet potato pie. All are welcome to stop by!


In other news - Claudia and Eric are on their way to California where they will make their new home. They will be dearly missed. I can't wait until they come for a visit - possibly over Easter. Definitely during summer break. What to bake, oh, what to bake?!?

We really will miss these two!
Funny for the day: Keith has eczema in his ears. The doctor prescribed an ointment to put in his ear canal at night. Last night, he said the tube just didn't feel right in his hand. He looked down to realize that he had just put toothpaste in his ear.







No comments: