Thursday, January 02, 2014

Ringing in 2014

Ah, the feel of a new year. NEW YEAR?? How in the world did it get to be 2014 when I'm still trying to get used to writing 2013? My parents used to tell me that time went by faster when you got older and I have to admit that they were right. (Did you hear that, Mom?)

Let me start by saying that I AM going to make a New Year's resolution this year and it is all about service. I am also going to tell you to read all about it at Home and School Mosaics, where I am now a writer. However, to read this particular article, you will need to sign up for their newsletter that comes out on the 10th of each month.  So, head on over and sign up so you can learn more about my resolution. Go ahead and do it now....I'll wait.

While you are at it, why don't you head on over to Evie's page and like it, if you haven't already. http://www.facebook.com/kidneyforevie.  And, not to spoil the surprise, Evie has a little something to do with my resolution!


Christmas is so full of traditions, but what about New Year's Eve and Day? Do you have anything you do that is special? For the last 3 years, Keith and I have headed over to a friend's house with several other couples and played games until the ball drops, at which point we drink sparkling grape juice and hug! This year also included a few fireworks!

New Year's Day is all about traditional food. When I was growing up in Ohio, we would always have pork and sour kraut. You had to eat a poor meal in order to be rich the rest of the year. Keith grew up with pork, cooked cabbage, and black eyed peas -  for the same reason. This year, we had pork, sour kraut, black eyed peas, sweet potato casserole (recipe to follow) and homemade cranberry sauce (recipe to follow). We also invited the missionaries over to our home - neither of which had ever heard of eating poor on the first day of the year in order to be wealthy the rest of the year!! I was amazed. So, I'm asking: Is this new to you? Drop me a note in the comment section. The food may have been "poor food" but is was definitely good food!

And, as for wealth, I wouldn't mind a little extra cash this year, but I think I'll take my wealth in doses of health, happiness, family, spirituality, and fun, thank you very much.

As my New Year's gift to you, I'm going to share two of my favorite winter recipes. I hope you enjoy.

Sweet Potato Casserole

(Makes enough for 6)

6 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mini marshmallows, optional

Microwave sweet potatoes until tender. (Be sure to poke with a fork before microwaving or you'll get an orange explosion!) Let cool.

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise, and scoop out flesh into a large mixing bowl.

Add butter and eggs. Mix thoroughly.

Add milk, sugar, and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.

If desired, add marshmallows.

Pour the sweet potato mixture into an 8x8 casserole dish.

Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake at 375 for 20 Minutes.

(To enjoy sweet potatoes all year, microwave and then scoop flesh into a freezer bag.)



Cranberry Sauce

(Be prepared for easy but delicious)

1 bag of cranberries (buy them now and freeze them for up to a year!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Put all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and cook on medium high heat for approximately 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. You will want all the cranberries to have popped open.

Take off burner and allow to cool slightly.

Pour into your serving container.

Chill or eat at room temperature.


1 comment:

Teri B. Clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.